Manual: Installation + Configuration
Installation and configuration of cacti is done via the script installCacti.sh
It will ask for:
- MySQL root password (to create the cacti DB)
- MySQL password of user 'cactiuser' which will be created, if necessary
- WebGUI password for user 'admin'
Available Modems are auto-detected and their corresponding graphs will be automatically created.
Available CMTSs will also be added automatically. However, their interface graphs won't be automatically created, as we don't know which interfaces are of interest.
To select which CMTS interfaces should be graphed:
- Login as 'admin' into the cacti web interface
- Goto Console -> Devices -> click on the corresponding CMTS
- "Create Graphs for this Host" (upper right corner)
- Select the interfaces of interest
After 5 minutes the graphs should be shown in Laravel (Main Menu -> CMTS -> Analysis)
As per the default settings cacti uses cmd.php to query the devices. If cmd.php is to slow or doesn't work properly, one can use spine instead.
Unfortunately, spine isn't shipped with CentOS7. The following spec file can be used to create the package cacti-spine.
After building and installing (see Prime VoIP Monitoring) the package, one must set the Poller type from cmd.php to spine:
- Login into the cacti web interfaces as 'admin'
- Goto Console -> Settings -> Poller -> Poller Type -> spine
Modifying RRD files
Add two new datasets to exisiting RRD modem files to save incoming and outgoing traffic figures:
Regenerate Cable Modem definition in Cacti database
This is needed if we add a new graph (i.e. traffic diagram) in the cable modem device template. Only newly added modems would display the traffic diagram. In order to deploy the new diagram for all modems we can regenerate all modems with the following command:
Especially the second command may take a while.
Develop with cactis script server
A good starting point is the Cacti Documentation for the script server. However for NMS Prime we made some adjustments. Following are the commands to test and develop scripts for the cacti script server.